CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I can't accurately calculate your paycheck, but I'll let you wear a coconut bra to work....eh?! (August 16th, 2007)

So, a while back...why, close to a year ago, actually, I posted an entry regarding the job that I had procured during the first month of our residency in Tennessee. Not knowing that it was going to be a complete hassle and take WAY too long to get paid (we were in near-dire straits, here), I opted to take a job in the corporate sector instead of the original plan of substitute teaching here. (Apparently, after all the paperwork I filled out ahead of time to feel smart about the whole thing, they had a waiting list until NOVEMBER to watch a video that made you certified to teach in a classroom. Then, you had to pound the pavement and ask for schools to hire you on a daily basis. I'm not above working for what you want, but sheesh. I'm supposed to guess when a teacher is sick? AND do it while sounding "like a Yankee"?! Try again.)I digress.The blog stated that I was happy to get the job because my compensation would be more than enough money to not only live on, pay off debt and put a hefty chunk in our student loan defecit, all of which was fulfilled. The enviorment seemed cool enough, and I got on with my boss ok....I did however, make a joke in said blog regarding "Hawaiian Shirt Day" ala Office Space (one of the greatest movies ever. EVER.)The prophecy has come true, and I didn't even have to go to the Ministry to get it.Tomorrow, my friends, is indeed HAWAIIAN SHIRT DAY. They are having a LUAU. To me, this is nothing more than appeasement. Apparently, this is to offset the fact that they shorted my bonus check from this month by about 100 dollars. And I'm not supposed to catch these things... (there have been apologies made and a promise of fulfillment on September's bonus. I'm not holding my breath.) Oh, I forgot that we're allowed to wear shorts, too. Good thing, as the building is kept at a balmy -27 at all times to accomodate the large number of computers and overweight employees' constant sweating. (How's that on-site gym treating everyone? What? The treadmills are broken!)All things being equal, my days go pretty quickly now because I'm busy there, (mostly between babysitting Vic, trying not to kill Johnny and occasionally selling insurance), and for the most part, I'm happy. As I said on my facebook profile, I'm feeling slightly unfulfilled of late, like I need a hobby, other than the 3 or so times a week I make it down to UT to exercise (which has helped immensely.) Hobby Farm? Hydroponics? Needlepoint? oh...TAXIDERMY!Is there a holiday that celebrates parentheses? I feel I would gladly celebrate. Actually, all punctuation in general deserves a great big "thank you!" from people like me who use it properly. Except for, perhaps, my overuse of parentheses. ()Again with the digression...Ziggie, seriously. This is why it takes me 3 weeks to get a thought out to you.In short, I have to be festive tomorrow. Bill Lumburg said I could wear a Hawaiian shirt if I wanted to. Coconut Bra, anyone?

0 comments: