CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Apologies

This requires a bit of background.

The Saturday routine in my household is fairly standard. Scottie and I are sniffed awake by Koko (just like in the Cesear commercial- the pink one, with the cute Westie? anyway...) usually around 8 or 8:30, depending on how tired she was the night before. We get up, Duke yells at us for not having fed him yet, and we proceed to fed the pets/ourselves and make coffee. We try to bargain with each other about who's turn it is to take the dog out, then someone just does it. This all lasts until about 9, 9:30. Because there's really not much on TV, we spend our weekend mornings listening to the radio, which is always tuned to NPR, of course. So. by the time the dog is taken care of, and we're settling in for our second cup of coffee, it's usually around 10am, which means time for Car Talk, followed by Wait Wait don't Tell me, then This American Life (my personal favorite.) Usually, after TAL, I go work out, sometimes leaving during a break to listen to the rest in the car. TAL is followed by some game show that's kind of dumb, then the Toll Brothers Metropolitan Opera Network.

Following the usual routine, I left to go to the gym to make up for the junk I had for dinner last night. I left the radio on while I was gone, something that we do to keep the pets company. When I finished up at the gym, I got into the car and turned on the radio (again, NPR), and I was greeted with "We'll be right back to (some random opera) by Philip Glass in just a moment" I nearly died. MY POOR BABIES!!

So, I know they can't read this, but Koko, Duke I'm sorry I made you listen to Philip Glass. Never ever did I mean to expose you to such nonsense, and I bet this was the one time you were wishing for thumbs more than anything else so you could change the channel.

And while I'm typing an apology, there was an interesting poem read on TAL this morning. It was read by a poet/writer/teacher who makes his 6th graders write their own versions of it, which is fairly standard with this poem, according to those in the writing world. People parody it all the time, and the interesting thing about it is that it's intended to be an apology, but the writer never actually shows remorse or says he's sorry for anything. It's called "This is Just to Say".

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast.

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold.
-- William Carlos Williams

The contributing writers for TAL wrote parodies, too. They'll probably be available for listening on Monday. They're awesome. End of Endorsement.

I think I might try a few of my own, using the same format- I miss writing. That might exercise my brain a little bit :)

1 comments:

Corey H said...

Hey your picture is from Disney World!!! Also, I have a blog now. I'm working on closing out the myspace, slowly but surely.