CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 6, 2008








I know it's been quite a while, but I've been keeping to myself lately. Nothing bad, just haven't had the chance/time/machine to update recently. From the last post:
Kendra's visit was smashing. We went to Applebee's, went shopping at the mall, and ended up watching Superbad at home instead of going out to a movie. WAY fun. It was way great to see and catch up with her one-on-one. We talk on the phone a fair amount, and she's always included in any kind of goofy text or email that I send, but it was refreshing to finally get to talk to her and be girls again in person. Kind of reminded me of nights we had like that at Miami. :)

Laurel and Mike came down for a few days during mid-March for Laurel's spring break. We had a way great time when they were here and Laurel put up pictures on facebook. If you check them out, please don't tag Scottie as he is trying to find a job teaching school. The first few days we just kind of hung out and did very Knoxville things. On Saturday night, we had dinner at Calhoun's on the river (after which we went out on the deck and threw bread at the ducks and giant fish). Sunday began with brunch at Tomato Head (DUH!!), which was delicous as always, and surprisingly un-crowded. Probably because of UT's spring break. We walked around Market Square and Gay Street window shopping and just being goofy. I think we went to the mall after that, where Laurel and I went to Ann Taylor and did girl things, and left the boys at the babysitters... I mean Mac Store. When we rounded everyone up, we headed to Fresh Market and bought supplies to cook dinner (mmmm...stuffed chicken breasts...) and had a fun evening in playing Apples to Apples. Ask Laurel which is more fantastic: Isreal or Disneyland.
On Monday, we dropped the puppy off at the kennel, had lunch at Salsarita's, and went into Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge/Sevierville for a day/night/day trip, and it was a really good time.
I think we spent most of the day at the outlet malls, and left empty-handed. Not that the merchandise was disappointing, we just couldn't find anything that we absolutely loved.
After we checked-in, we headed to dinner, then around town (more window shopping, a stop in an arcade and general mayhem) and then finally to Crawdaddy's, where we spent Saint Patrick's day, watching tourists and locals alike make fools of themselves singing karaoke.





Naturally, Scottie and Laurel signed up while Mike and I watched them... apparently we're the only sensible ones.





Laurel wanted to eat in a log cabin, so we did (breakfast!!), and our room was clean and shiny even though our hotel apparently came complete with racist guests- that's a story that has to be told in person, so please ask. Oh, what the heck:
After dinner, we headed back to the hotel to get rested and head out for St Patrick's day at the local pub. We get into the elevator to go to our room, and are greeted by a family of 4 - might have been grandparents, but whatever. We make small talk, and on the next floor, are joined by a pair of middle school aged girls. The mother figure looks at one of us and says something like "I'm glad the other groups have left- the hotel was overrun with teenagers this weekend!" (Some kind of Christian convention over the weekend- we were there on a Monday night) We kind of nod in agreement when the middle schoolers speak up:
"There were three busloads of kids that just checked in"
Mother: "Oh, no!"
Middle Schoolers: "And they're black, too"
Mother:"Well, I think we might need to find another place to stay"

The four of us look at each other over the span of a few seconds; everyone is appalled. I give the middle schoolers the dirtiest look I can muster, and say "That's horribly racist", as we're exiting the elevator. (Our floor had arrived) Best part: Racist family was staying right across the hall from us, so we loudly complained about the whole incident as we followed them down the hall. They probably thought we were stalking them. The next morning, we saw the kids that the little neo-nazis were referring to: they were all elementary school aged, and had a TON of chaperones with them. Big deal....

Anyway.

More later- my brother is leaving town, and I have to go to the grocery store rightnow.
Peace.

0 comments: