CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 5, 2008

Baby Names?

For the record, Scottie and I are developing a list of names that we think would be appropriate for our soon to be son. We've decided not to discuss at any great length our preferences for first names with people, after a few conversations about various names yielded comments such as:
"Oh, no! Don't name him that!"
"I hate that name"
" I knew a ___. He was a ___" (last blank filled in with something bad)
"Well what about _____ in honor of _____" (may or may not be people we've ever heard of or met)
"I always wanted to name my boy ____. You should!" (No thanks. You had your chance.)

We don't want that kind of influence, pressure, baggage, etc.

The point of me sharing this is that the very first suggestion we received for a name (other than my grandfather's standard "Howard if it's a boy, Howardwina if it's a girl...") came from my uncle Rick. Before we even found out we were having a boy, my Star Wars obsessed uncle said to Scottie "Have you considered Anakin?"

Being as our little guy has been practicing Jedi tricks in my belly, that might not be so far off! I even got a text once it was public knowledge that we ARE having a boy that read: "I have a $100 bill with 'Anakin' written on the back". In all reality, that wouldn't even pay for the kid's legal fees to change his name once he got tired of being beaten up and not being able to choke people just by thinking about it.

Rest assured, we'll choose something that will fit him, have a special and significant meaning, and be able to transition from babyhood to adult with few issues.



And despite what my husband says, Anakin is NOT on our list.

2 comments:

Corey H said...

Brandon Keller Moore?

Jess said...

Boo. I am SO not naming my kid after your fish :)