CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ups and Downs...

When I was planning this post in my head before sitting down, I was only thinking about the wonderful positive things that have happened today...because the awful stuff hadn't yet occurred. Yin Yang, Good and Evil, Black and White...it all balances out.

I had a smashing time today after class hanging out with Kendra- before that even happened, I was hungry at the same time I was in Oxford (doesn't happen very often) which meant that I got to treat myself to a Wham-O at Bagel and Deli. This thrilled me to no end, as I've been thinking about sandwiches for WEEKS now. So, I got my sandwich, trotted over to Kendra's and we proceeded to stalk houses in Oxford, as she and Mike are starting their homebuying process over Christmas break. We found a few that we knew were already on their list, then went drooling into the really nice subdivisions...someday...
After all that excitement, I packed up and started my drive home. I took the sneaky back way into Piqua, and was pleasantly surprised to find out that it shaved a whole 15 minutes off my drive time, and I didn't need to worry about being run off the road by copious amounts of semi trucks. That in and of itself excited me. The radio station I was listening to played only awesome music the whole time, and I discovered that we have a K-Mart within a few blocks of my house. (How long have I lived here!? I know, lame.) No more cross town trips to Wal-Mart or into the Troy Meijer for contact solution! W00t!!!
During my drive, I called Good Ol' Charlie Brown himself to see what he was up to, and a strange series of events began to unfold. First, he told me NOT to park out back (where our garage and carport is/my usual spot) and to park out front because he was "cleaning some things out of the basement that need to go to school". Um, weird, but ok. As I pull up to the front of the house, I see my mom's car parked there...also weird, as we usually see her on her home turf. But, I'm gullible and think very little about it. As I was enjoying my mom's company in our living room, I noticed a total mess of little white styrofoam-y flakes all over our floors. Again, I let it go, chalking it up to whatever Scottie had been doing in the basement. After a few minutes, he called out to me from upstairs by saying "Uh-oh!!! Honey, you'd better come look at this..." To my shock and surprise, there was a fully assembled BEAUTIFUL CRIB!!! for our baby boy. It's a four in one convertible, and apparently he's also purchased the matching changing table/dresser combo. He even put the bedding on it!!!! It's adorable, people. Seriously.

And now, the ugliness....

After the exciting reveal of the crib, we took my mom out for a late dinner at one of the finer establishments that Piqua has to offer- Z's. I had what was quite possibly the most questionable definition of a grilled chicken salad, and my husband had a "hamburger with cheese". When we got back, we discovered that our dog had made a mess upstairs, so we did the usual divide and conquer clean-up. As I was getting the mini carpet shampooer going, Scottie flushed a paper towel in our upstairs toilet. The toilet apparently disagreed, and overflow commenced shortly thereafter. Not only did it make a mess in the bathroom, but when we went downstairs, we found 30% of our 80 year old Hardwood flooring in the dining room SOPPING WET. A glance directly upward revealed a few drops coming from the ceiling, and a VERY soft ceiling tile. Upon further inspection, the ceiling seems to "bow" in one area... and I need to be clear that the bathroom containing the toilet in question sits directly above the dining room. Oy. So, we cleaned up MORE water, I mopped with anti-gross stuff, and we dug through all our house documents to find our home warranty.
WORD TO THE WISE: Not like I'm some kind of expert, but if you're buying a house, always always ALWAYS ask for a Home Warranty in your contract. While home inspectors are awesome (and you should always have one of those, too), they can't deconstruct the house to see what could maybe go wrong in a few months, etc. The seller of the house pays for it, so it's nothing but a good thing for you as a buyer! Commercial over.

Our warranty is going to cover any plumbing repairs that we'll need to have...and it's only costing us $50. So, I'll go ahead and place that under the "neutral heading"; good that it's covered and we don't have to pay a lot to get the problem diagnosed and repaired...bad that we have to deal with it in the first place.

No house is perfect, just like no marriage is perfect.
I love my house.
And even though he doesn't really think so right now, I love my husband. Plumbing disaster and all :)

0 comments: