When I was in high school, I had two very regular babysitting gigs for people from our church. Each was a single child, one boy, one girl. They were my favorite kids to watch, hands down, and I looked forward to my summer nanny gig with the little boy every year. After a few years, both families relocated (military), and I'm sure both of them are either in high school or approaching... that's depressing. The little boy I babysat was named Konnor, and his dad was German. This kid had the NEATEST toys- lots of them came from Europe. I don't know who had more fun with them out of the two of us, honestly. (He also had special-order size Birkenstocks straight from Germany, courtesy of grandma and grandpa. They were the tiniest sandals I'd ever seen, and quite stylish.)
When we found out we were having a boy, my head went immediately to all the fantastic experiences I had with Konnor through his toddler-hood. The kid loved trains, and most of the train-related fun was centered around this amazing Brio train set complete with a play table, hills, trees, and tons of accessories. The best thing about the set was that it was all wood. No plastic! Not so great for trees directly, but they're seriously durable and generally seem like a much more sustainable product- for our enviornment and our family (think multiple kids here...), not to mention less paranoia on my part, with all the scaries coming out of China lately.
My point: I'm shopping on ebay right now for train sets, and the kid isn't even here. Maybe I'll just play with them until he decides to show up...
Remember all those things I had to do today? I got less than half accomplished. I'm just so unmotivated/ hippo-like that it's hard not to over-schedule and under-accomplish lately. Our bedroom looks like a clothing bomb went off in there- maybe I'll just send Scottie to the grocery store (cue the horror movie music!) in favor of doing laundry. Hmmm... it's sad when I have to think about chores in terms of "which one will he make the least amount of mistakes doing?" before I ask him to help out. I'm so not Martha, but there's a right and a wrong way to do dishes, laundry, clean in general and shop for our family here, people. Or, maybe I should listen to the little voice in my head (that sounds like my mom) and stop trying to be a perfectionist.
Nope.
Definitely going to have to write detailed instructions on how those tasks get accomplished before baby shows up so I don't go postal one day when the dishwasher is loaded the wrong way, or my red sweatshirt ends up being washed with delicates. It's for the good of everyone involved :)
I should try to sleep. I have a big day of not doing what I set out to do tomorrow ;)
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Cart (or train) before the horse?
Posted by Jess at 12:29 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment